Immortal Moon Chapter Three and Four

by Broken Wings

Hey guys~, I took a break from my studying for finals (I keep getting headaches from it e___e ) and wrote two more chapters. (Yay me! ). For the first two chapters and the prologue click -->here<--

Another note: TITLE CHANGE. From Crimson Moon to Immortal Moon. It sounded better and went better with the story...

Chapter Three –

For the first time in my life, I was in the air at the end of my transportation. I opened my eyes only to see my surroundings leap up, and suddenly I smacked into the ground. Dizzy, but trying not to show it, I quickly sat up and turned my gaze to Ky’s outline. He was blurred, but I could still see him smirk.

He knew something I didn’t.

I tried to stand up, but the world spun around me as I did so. Just as I was about to collapse back to the ground, Ky reached out and grabbed my elbow to keep me steady. This confused me; usually he watched me struggle on my own and didn’t even attempt to help. But I was glad for the support.

“Naera, I have an important mission for you.” He said as my mind slowly stopped rocking. I was able to focus on him, on his bright yellow eyes. I swallowed and nodded, not feeling anything except numb. “I need you to kill a neutral for me.” I gasped even before he finished the sentence. My breathe caught in my throat. Kill a neutral? They might have only had one master, but their clan was bigger than both the dark and good clans put together. I groped for words to say, but I found none. How can I oppose Ky?

“Don’t worry, I have a partner for you.” At this, my gaze fell upon the demon in the corner. He was standing quietly, arms crossed, watching us with a blank expression. Why hadn’t I noticed him before? I quickly tried to straighten myself up, jerking my arm away from Ky.

“If you try to fight a neutral, they’ll kill all of the family!” I hissed. Demons under a master’s rule was often called a “family”. Though some “families”, such as mine, were as distant as strangers.

“Trust me, Naera.” Ky smirked and gestured towards the man in the corner. “This is Asselin. He’s strong, and cunning. He’ll be useful against the neutrals.”

I couldn’t help but find myself disgusted at the way Ky spoke of Asselin. He made the demon sound like…like…a weapon of some sort. I scowled at Ky, but quickly turned to look at Asselin before Ky could see. He was obviously strong; his muscles bulging out slightly under copper colored skin. He stepped forward and held out his hand to me. It was large, and when I clasped my hand around his, it was warm as well. We held our hands tightly for a minute before pulling away. No shake, not even one. It was the demon handshake, and it was a kind of pledge to loyalty for each other.

I didn’t doubt his loyalty, but I doubted my own.

Quickly pushing away all thoughts, I looked back at my master. He was watching me with approving eyes. I averted my gaze to a wall, not wanting to think what would happen if I failed.

“The scent, My Lord.” Asselin said, his voice like the soft pitter-patter of rain on the roof.

“Oh, right, right!” Ky laughed and handed him a…mixing spoon? Asselin looked just as confused as me, but he took it in his emmensed hands, lifting it to his nose. His nostrils flared, and he quickly pulled it away from his face, holding it out to me like it was a venomous snake. I took it and raised it to my own nose, breathing in the scent. It smelled sweet; a sort of warm, kind smell. Nothing wrong or foul about it as far as I could tell.

I lowered it and handed it back to Ky.

“Ready?” I asked Asselin, and I could see him tense as if I had offended him. I supposed he was used to asking that and not somebody asking him. I quickly closed my eyes before I could see him scowl.

“Ready?” His voice came only seconds later, and I could hear the smugness in his voice.

“Yep.” I said loosely, not opening my eyes. But by then I was already letting the strange, warm scent wrap around me.

This time I was standing on the ground, thankfully. As soon as I felt different floor under my feet I opened my eyes. Asselin was a meter or two away, already looking around. Quickly pulling my gaze from him, I also looked around.

I wasn’t too surprised about where we were, not after the mixing spoon. We were standing in a large kitchen, but if you took away the giant table in the middle, you could possibly use it for a gym. There were three stoves, which I raised my eyebrow at, and cabinets all around the room. Two refrigerators were tucked into a corner, one pressed against the other. Despite how large it was, everything was perfectly clean.

There was a noise from next to me, a sort of choked snort. My head snapped to the side to look as I jumped away, but it was only Asselin. He was covering his nose and mouth with his massive hands. I must’ve looked confused, because he explained.

“Neutral scent.” He spat, as if it should be obvious. Technically, I suppose it should have. But I didn’t smell anything. I swallowed, and nodded.

“I’m used to it.” I lied, to cover myself up for my lack of disgustion. After several more moments I turned my attention back to my surrounding.

As I stepped toward the stoves to look at them, someone hurried through a door towards the end of the room. I reeled back, eyes widening, as I watched her. For a second I thought she didn’t notice us, from the way she just scurried over the pale blue tiles and towards the stoves.

“Hold on, hun, if you want something to eat you’ll have to wait for dinner.” She said pleasantly as she passed me. I blinked in confusion, and then her scent reached me.

She’s the demon we’re after? My mouth dropped slightly, but I glanced at Asselin and flicked my wrist towards her. He nodded, before gesturing for me to step back. Reluctantly, I did so, inching away from the girl.

She looked no older than me. I studied her as she turned knobs on the stove and it slowly turned on. Then she started flitting around the cabinets, pulling out pots and pans. That was the only way I could describe the way she moved- flitting. Like a humming bird.

She had short black hair, but the hair that framed her face was blue. I couldn’t catch a good glimpse of her eyes, but her skin seemed quite fair, somewhat in between Blade and Jamia’s skin tone.

Without warning, Asselin darted forward and grabbed her shoulders. She yelped slightly as he jerked her back, but by then he had a strong grip on her neck. For a minute she clawed at his hand, then just as suddenly as he jerked forward, she kicked him right between the legs.

My “partner” immediately crumpled slightly, letting go of her and pulling away. He glanced towards me.

Oh no. It was my turn.

I hesitated, and during that time she turned and starting running towards the door. At least, I thought it was the door. Foolishly, I ran after her.

I was quite taken aback when she pulled open a drawer and grabbed a knife. Then she spun around the face me again. I skidded to a stop, but she was already pouncing on me. She knocked both of us to the ground, and then she had me pinned. I mentally cursed myself for being so careless.

I stared into her eyes, which I now knew the color of. Green, with a sort of yellow circle around the pupil. She seemed perfectly calm as she held the knife to my throat.

“What do you want?” She asked icily. I almost swallowed, but then conscious of the knife pressed against my throat, I quickly stopped myself.

“Kayen!” A familiar voice said, and I pulled my gaze from her face. I tried to look past her, but she was blocking my entire view. Keeping her knife to me, she turned her head to look.

“Sabl, I’m handling it.” She growled, and my eyes widened. Sabl?! I thought frantically, trying to squirm out of her grasp. It didn’t work, and her knife dug slightly into my neck. I froze and tried to recoil from it.

I could hear running against the tile, and black sneakers crashed down uncomfortably close to my head. They were quickly gone, however, and I knew he was heading towards Asselin.

Oh, he can take care of himself. I thought impatiently, staring at Kayen again. Her attention was fixed on Sabl and Asselin, I assumed.

Perfect. I smiled and slowly lifted one hand. Carefully I moved it over to the knife she was holding.

Just about then was when things came all too quickly. She looked down, but I had already grabbed her knife-holding hand and threw her off me, pulling the knife out of her hand as she fell back. I was immediately on my feet, and this time I tackled her to the ground. Well, I tried anyway. She rolled away from me and also jumped up

As we circled each other, waiting for a sign of weakness, or a place to move in, I spotted Asselin and Sabl fighting out of the corner of my eye. Sabl, unfortunately, seemed to be winning. I scowled and quickly turned my attention back to Kayen. Luckily, she hadn’t noticed my lack of focus and was now eying my feet.

You shouldn’t plan so obviously. I thought with a smirk. Suddenly, though I expected it, she darted forwards, lowering like she was going to knock me off my feet. I quickly jumped up, but realized too late what she was actually doing. As I jumped up she pushed herself up off the ground like a frog would, and body slammed me in the air. The wind was knocked clear out of my lungs, and it didn’t help that I slammed into a wall. I think I heard something crack as well.

My neck snapped back and my head slammed against something hard and pointy- a corner, I figured. But by then I was sinking to the ground, and my sight had gone black.

~~~

My eyes flew open, and I jerked myself into sitting position. Immediately pain sprang up my side, and I fell back. I waited for several minutes as all my senses slowly came back. I was lying in a bed- this surprised me very much- and someone was standing over me. I blinked and squinted, trying to make them out.

I was actually expecting Sabl, but it wasn’t. It was someone I had never seen before. His skin was just slightly tan- very similar to mine, just a bit lighter. His eyes were a light blue, and he had black hair. As my mind slowly came back, I also realized he looked only a few years older than me.

And he was gorgeous.

I quickly shoved all my thoughts back at this one. Ew, no! I thought.

“Ah, you are awake.” He said, and he put a hand on my shoulder. I pulled back, and managed to suppress a yelp of pain as my side burned. “Oh, sorry.” He said, instantly jerking his hand back. I realized, as he did so, that his hand was scarred badly. It was almost hard to tell if it was a hand or not.

“Jozokas?” An unfamiliar, yet familiar, voice chimed as another figure stepped into my view. I hissed and sat up again at the sight of her. Asselin should have killed her while I was knocked out!

She reached out and pushed me back down.

“What are you going to do with me?” I asked stiffly. “If you hurt me, my master will have all of you-“

“Hurt you?” Kayen laughed. “No, hun, we want to heal you. If you stay here for a while, your ribs should be good as new. Though, of course, some of my family did want to kill you, but Sabl told them not to.”

“Sabl?” My eyes widened. “Why would he…?” I trailed off and sighed.

“He’s quite fond of you. He talks about you a lot.” Kayen laughed again. “Get some sleep. You don’t have to worry about anyone hurting you, you’ll be fine.” She smiled warmly at me. She kissed ‘Jozokas’ and walked away as he turned his attention back to me.

I closed my eyes, but was consciously aware of him staring at me.

I’ll never get to…sleep with him….staring at….me… Or so I thought.

~~~

When I woke up no one was around, and I was more aware of my surroundings. For instance, the first thing I noticed, was that I was in a room with no windows or electric lights. Slowly, painfully, I sat up and got a better look. Candles were placed around the room randomly, making it a lot brighter than necessary. There was a small bureau tucked against a wall, with two candles on top of it.

Since no one was around I decided I might as well try to get back to Ky, or the mansion, or somewhere other than here. I closed my eyes and thought of my room. Lavender scent, soft carpet, electric lights…

But all I felt was pain. And it wasn't just in my side; it seemed to spread over my entire body, a distinctive ache. And not only that, but it also felt like someone had put a noose around my heart and squeezed it tight. With a gasp my eyes flew open, and I rubbed my chest as the pain slowly subsided.

I jumped out of my skin as something slammed into the door.

"Goddammit, Sabl, no!" Someone's harsh voice reached my ears, and just the sound made me cringe. Slowly I slipped out of the bed and walked towards the door. My shoes had been taken off, and all I had on were my socks. I almost slipped several times.

There was more shouting as I reached the door, and I hesitated. What was I doing? Helping Sabl? But eventually curiosity got the better of me and I cracked the door open just enough for me to look out. Sabl had his back pressed against the wall, but he looked at the other man defiantly.

"She is my friend." He hissed. "I will not allow her to be killed!"

"What makes her your 'friend'?" The other man spat, shoving Sabl back against the wall with such force that it crumbled slightly, the dust dropping and falling into Sabl's long hair. I flinched the same time Sabl did. "She is under Ky's rule!"

"But I'm working on getting her to join-"

"Join us? Sabl, she can't join us! Ky will start sending his children over to kill her, and in the meantime we'll be protecting her and our family will get killed! We already have Kayen!" My eyes widened. Kayen used to be under Ky's rule? Is that why he wanted me and Asselin to kill her? That seemed a bit too harsh, even for him. Once a demon joined another clan, it was considered their honored decision, and nothing else was done about it.

But I couldn't imagine Ky sending over demons to kill me…he wouldn't, would he?

"Look, Kayen is Jozokas's duty, not mine! I can watch over Sarah! Even if she hates me, I will!" Sabl’s desperate voice quickly changed to threatening, and he stepped forward. The wall crumbled slightly again. "We're the only ones who know what Ky has planned for her. I have to save her, Radak! You just don't understand!"

"Understand what?" Radak hissed. "Understand that you're in love with her? Guess what, Sabl, she hates you! It's fools gold! Who honestly cares if she dies, besides you? Maybe a few of her human friends will wonder why she has disappeared. Oh, boo hoo. Just let Ky do what he wants with her. She is his child, whatever he does with her is his decision!"

Sabl shoved Radak back angrily, slamming him against the wall. Immediately, the man grabbed his arm and punched him square in the stomach, before pulling his hand up and smacking him right in the face. Sabl stumbled back, hit the wall, then slid down it and crumpled onto the ground.

"We'll see what the master has to say." Radak scowled, pushing Sabl's limp body out of his way, then strode down the hall. I pulled back slightly as he passed the door, but he didn't notice me. He just kept on walking. I waited several minutes after he turned a corner, then pushed the door open and stepped out. Sabl was on all fours, using one hand to wipe some blood off his lip.

As I knelt down in front of him he looked up, his eyes widening.

"Sarah, you should be in bed." He said quickly, looking away from me. I flinched as he used my human name.

"Why did you stand up for me?" I asked sternly.

"You…heard?" Sabl swallowed and sat back on his heels.

“Of course I heard! You were fighting outside the room’s door!” I scoffed. I swallowed and sighed. “Answer my question.”

Sabl just stared at me. His expression slowly changed from bewilderment to sadness.

“Why do you want to know?” He suddenly said stiffly.

“Sabl!” Someone shouted. Both of us jumped, and he narrowed his eyes.

“Inez.” Sabl growled under his breath. I was about to ask who, but a lanky, tan demon had halted behind Sabl.

“Did you ruin the wall?” Inez demanded, then spoke again before Sabl could reply. “We just fixed the ceiling from last time! You and Radak need to learn how to control your temperaments.” He grabbed Sabl’s shirt and jerked him to his feet. Then he looked down at me. I kept my mouth shut and slowly stood up, clearing my throat.

“This is-“ Sabl began.

“The girl.” Inez cut him off with a growl. He narrowed his eyes at me, and I swallowed. I fidgeted with my shirt nervously. He reached over and lifted my chin gently, but Sabl pulled his hand back, scowling at him. I also stepped back, feeling anger bubbling up. “Your name is Sarah, isn’t it?” He asked.

“Naera.” I said, my shoulder muscles tensing.

“Naera, then.” Inez smirked and let go of Sabl. Inez stepped towards me, and I stepped back again. “I’ll see you around.” He winked and brushed past me. I turned and watched him go, my mouth open. Was a neutral demon just hitting on me?

“I’m sorry. Go back and rest.” Sabl said, before also hurrying past me. But he made sure to keep a good space between us as he did so. I quickly closed my mouth and watched as he turned a corner.

What now? I thought miserably. Slowly I turned in a full circle, looking around. I was in a hallway, with doors only on the left side. I raised an eyebrow and touched the right wall gently. Nothing seemed wrong with it. Why weren’t there any doors?

I shook away my curiosity. What did it matter? I shouldn’t even be here. And since I couldn’t seem to transport, I would have to walk home.

I picked my left, since that was where both Inez and Sabl had gone, and walked through the hall. I followed Sabl’s route, taking the corner and then continuing down. The hallway seemed to go on forever, and it was the same as the hallway I’d stepped out into. Doors were only on the left side. I almost thought I was completely lost when I came to a small, narrow stairway descending to a door.

I glanced around, then slowly started down the stairs, one hand on the wall to steady myself.

~~~

I actually got pretty far, and if it hadn’t been for the fact that this house was even bigger than mine, I probably would have gotten out of here. But, of course, I got lost, and now I was staring down into two pairs of blue eyes.

“What should we do with her?” One of them said.

“I wonder what she tastes like roasted…”

“Naw, I’d rather see what she tastes like fried.”

As the two young demons continued their conversation of how they were going to cook me, I glanced around slowly, trying to find a way out. The hall I was in now- or maybe it was one I had been in before- was deserted besides me and the two cannibals. If they weren’t joking, that was. I really hoped they were.

Finding no way to escape, I leaned back against the wall and closed my eyes drowsily. Running around a maze-like house tired me out enough without bruised ribs. The two neutrals continued bickering until I heard a familiar voice.

“Naera?” I opened my eyes eagerly, only to find that Jozokas was moving towards us. The two demons both looked at each other with wide eyes and stumbled back.

“We w-weren’t doing anything, w-we swear!” One of them said, and the other nodded his head quickly in agreement.

“Alright, twins, stop fooling around and leave our guest be.” Jozokas said, and though I detected no hint of anger in his voice, the two boys turned and darted away like there was a coyote on their heels. Jozokas watched them leave then turned to me, smiling warmly. “I hope you don’t mind them. They like causing mischief.” He paused, but continued before I could get anything in. “I don’t believe we were introduced correctly. I’m Jozokas, but you can call me Kas. I believe you are Naera, am I correct?” His light blues eyes twinkled.

“Nare-rah.” I corrected the way he said my name. “But yes, that’s correct.” I itched with impatience, but I tried not to show it.

“Oops, sorry.” He rubbed the back of his head, before turning to look down the hall. I turned as well, and jumped back in surprise as Kayen seemed to appear out of no where.

“Someone wants to see you, Sarah!” She chirped happily. I cringed, wondering how she could be so optimistic.

“Who?” I asked, as I studied her carefully. No wonder she left Ky, she definitely didn’t belong under his rule. Or maybe she had been different back then. I knew I’d probably never find out.

“Follow me.” She turned and started walking away. Jozokas followed her immediately, like a trained puppy, and I hesitated before reluctantly padding after them. I was still in my socks, and it was starting to get chilly in the house.

Jozokas eyed Kayen’s feet unhappily. She was only wearing socks as well, but they were completely mismatched. One was red with black stripes, and the other was purple with yellow polka dots. I had to keep back my giggles as we turned a corner.

Kayen led us through the hallways, turning and twisting randomly- or so it seemed to me. After a while I got dizzy and decided to stop paying attention and just stare at the back of Jozokas’s head.

Finally we entered a very large dining room. A long table was placed in the middle of the room, and a smaller one was tucked into the corner. There were, again, no electrical lights but blown out candles were scattered randomly around the room. I figured they would be on if it wasn’t for the fact that the giant window on the west wall was flooding the room with a light.

As soon as my eyes adjusted to the bright light, I noticed the most familiar face standing in the shadows of the room. At first I was comforted- a strange calm settled around me. But it immediately turned to panic.

“Jamia!” I choked on her name and stuttered slightly.

“H-how…why…you’re…here?” I stammered. “How’d you get here? How’d you know I was here?”

Jamia smiled smugly and lifted up her hands, palm forward, to stop my jumble of words. Blue ink covered the middle of her hand as her bracelets jangled. I had no choice but to calm down at such a familiar sight. I closed my eyes briefly, sucking in the warmth that radiated from her.

I seemed to be the only one who thought that. Jozokas and even the optimistic Kayen seemed to recoil from her. Glancing at them, I stepped forward.

“How I got here is not important.” Jamia said coolly, flicking a strand of crimson hair behind her shoulder. Her bracelets jangled again as she did so, and I saw Kayen flinch out of the corner of my eye. My forehead creased in confusion, but I quickly decided to ignore them. “Why are you here?”

Her sudden question caught me by surprise, and I only stood there with my mouth hanging half open. She waited patiently, eyebrows raised.

“I…I…” I glanced around as if searching for an excuse.

“She came to kill me.” Kayen spoke up, her voice stiff as she eyed Jamia. My friend didn’t seem to notice.

“Oh.” She said with dismission. “Look, Sar, I did some research-“ She was cut off as a herd of demons trampled into the room. My eyes widened as I turned to look. The empty room filled up instantaneously, almost too fast to comprehend. Some demons just appeared, while others filed through the door. Both me and Jamia back up and pressed ourselves closer to the wall, hiding in the shadows. Their loud chatter filled the room, and even if Jamia continued speaking I would not be able to hear her.

“Oh, come on Jared, you’ve got to help me.” Kayen shouted to Jozokas over the roar. I stared at them. Jozokas’s human name was Jared? That was awfully similar. I watched as the two disappeared into another door.

Several minutes later Kayen came back in carrying a large plate of pizza, and Jozokas followed. Jamia put a hand over her mouth and took on a green hue. I always forgot that she hated pizza even more than I did.

“Yes! Pizza tonight!” I heard several demons exclaim, and suddenly everyone was rushing for the chairs.

There was a lot of shoving, pushing, and shouting to claim chairs, but eventually everyone had found a seat and was reaching eagerly for slices.

“I’ll bring the the rest of the plates to the other rooms; you can eat.” Jozokas said to Kayen, and I thought my eyes were about to pop out because they widened so much. Even Jamia looked surprised. There were more rooms? How many freaking neutrals were in this one house? I knew neutrals had more demons than the “good” and “bad” clans put together, but I wasn’t expecting so many to live together.

I looked around the table from where I stood. I only recognized three faces. Kayen, and the twins that had been taunting me in the hallway. I was happy to see they were both eating pizza, a hopeful sign.

After several silent minutes only broken by the sound of people eating, several of them started talking, and soon they were all talking and the room filled with the sound of babble and laughter. It reminded me exactly of school lunch.

No one seemed to notice me and Jamia standing off in the shady corner, watching them. Even Kayen seemed to forget we were here as she talked excitedly with someone sitting besides her. I noticed that she wasn’t eating pizza, but instead was gnawing on what looked like (though I wasn’t sure) a chicken bone.

I glanced at Jamia, but she already seemed bored. She was staring out the window, watching the sun sink slowly behind the tree tops. I knew she was waiting for dusk- she hated the bright sunlight that came with every day.

“Come on, let’s get out of here.” I whispered to Jamia, but she quickly shook her head.

“No, we have to stay. I’ll explain later.” She whispered back urgently. I opened my mouth to protest then quickly shut it. I knew there was no point in arguing with Jamia- once she made up her mind, she stuck to her decision no matter what you said or did to her.

I sighed and waited for something to happen. Several minutes ticked by, and my impatience grew. Finally Jamia, who I was positive had sensed my emotions, spoke.

“You left off saying that you could switch clans.” Jamia said calmly. I stared at her, bewildered, before remembering our conversation in the woods. Of course she wouldn’t have forgotten. I let an exasperated sigh escape my lips before puckering them and thinking. Jamia saved me. “Tell me about the thirteen masters.” She suggested.

I paused several moments as I dusted off my thoughts, then began. It didn’t feel awkward, though I knew it should have. But there was nothing else to do at the moment, any way.

“There are thirteen masters. Six of them are in the “bad” clan, and six are in the “good” clan. The one left is the neutral master. Although the clans- well, two of them- have several different masters, they are all pretty much working together. The only difference is that all the demons belonging to a master are considered a ‘family’.”

“How are…how are you made?” Jamia asked sheepishly. I smiled.

“Well…the same way humans are. No need to get into details.” I laughed, and Jamia’s bell-like laugh joined mine. “Our parents take care of us, but they are never really considered our parents. Our master is our only parent, and all the demons below him are considered his ‘children’. He is allowed to do whatever he wants with them. We’re raised as demons until we’re about six, and then they put us in a human kindergarten. Anything we say is just dismissed as our imaginations running wild. After a while we learn that we aren’t allowed to tell.” I looked at Jamia to make sure she was still with me, and was happy to see that she was eagerly sucking in all the information.

“Each clan has their own sign. Bad clan has an upside down cross, neutral clan has a neutral symbol, and the good clan has a peace sign.” I smiled. “We were actually the first to make those signs, so don’t think we stole them. Humans are the ones who took the symbols from us.”

“That makes sense.” Jamia nodded, then gestured for me to continue.

“Each master has their own symbol as well, which they all put on their children some how. Whether it’s a scar, tattoo, or jewelry of some sort.” I pulled out my two necklaces, which were usually hidden beneath my clothes.

“So this is your clan one.” Jamia said, fingering the upside down cross before looking at the other one. It was a sun, plain and simple, but Jamia studied it carefully as if it was telling her all the secrets it kept from me. “This is your family’s symbol.” She finally said with a nod to show she understood the whole “two symbols” thing. I smiled, always comforted at how easily she took the most foreign things. I opened my mouth to keep talking, but a loud snapping noise made everyone in the room look toward a door on one of the eastern walls.

And right there, in the middle of the now-broken doorway, stood Ky.

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:27 am
Broken Wings says...

Chapter Four –

Jozokas was suddenly in the room, pulling Kayen against him. Ky simply glanced in their direction before turning to look at me and Jamia. As soon as he saw my friend his frown turned into an angry scowl.

And suddenly everyone was moving. Chairs were being pushed back, demons disappearing, or running out of the room. Some ran in, and others moved towards my master. He lifted his hands and everyone seemed to freeze.

“I simply wish to get my child back.” He said quietly, but I was sure everyone had heard. Jozokas hugged Kayen tighter, but Ky was already moving past them and towards me. I was frozen, my mouth opening and closing like a fish caught on land. “Come, Naera. We have to go home.” He said. I stared at him, the words not registering.

No, don’t go with him. Trust me, trust the neutrals. A voice said in my head, and I could have sworn for the entire world it was Jamia’s. But when I glanced at her, she was simply staring at Ky icily.

“This is my home.” I whispered, then gulped. I watched the golden eyes that I loved so much- and hated at the same time- as rage was slowly built up in them.

“How dare you!” He suddenly burst out, and the words stung my ears. I cringed back, but held my ground none-the-less. “I raised you from an infant, and now this! Do you want to end up like her?” Without pulling his gaze from mine, he turned and pointed at Kayen. I heard Jozokas hiss under his breath.

“I-I won’t.” I stammered, though I wasn’t sure what he meant by that. He dropped his hand, which was now clenched in a fist.

“You are…a rat! A dirty, filthy, back-stabbing-“ I wasn’t sure what he was going to finish that with, because he never did. Jamia had suddenly stepped forward and slapped Ky even harder than she had slapped Sabl. His head snapped to the side, before he slowly straightened it and stared in astonishment at her.

“She is my friend!” Jamia hissed through clenched teeth. “And if anyone ever misspeaks her I will have their insides fed to my cats!” Her usual calm gaze was fiery, and anger radiated from her. I waited for Ky to smack her back, and tensed as I prepared to fight for her. But to my complete surprise, he slowly backed away.

“You’ll pay!” He growled at her, then looked at me. I narrowed my eyes, knowing the warning was meant for both of us. “You’ll pay to the very depths of Hell!” And with that he turned and stalked back. Demons scurried out of his way to allow him a clear path to the door.

Once he left everything seemed to freeze. I just barely noticed when Sabl appeared beside me. I was still staring at the empty doorway, convinced that Ky was going to come back in at any second, or I was going to wake up. Sabl’s voice pulled me into reality, but I had already missed what he said.

“Huh?” I asked, glancing at him. He sighed, but repeated what he had said before.

“Why did you do that?” He asked, blinking at me. His bright green eyes reminded me completely of Kayen, and I had to turn instinctively to look at her. Come to think of it, they looked very much alike. I watched as Kayen pulled away from Jozokas and started ordering people what to do. I was a bit taken aback; she didn’t seem to be one who would take the lead and issue orders.

“Naera?” Sabl said again, and I quickly snapped my gaze back to him. It was the first time he’d used my real name. I searched my head for answers to his question, but I really had no idea why I told Ky that.

Suddenly Jamia moved forward towards him and before he could react she had punched him right in the gut. He stumbled back and hugged his stomach, his eyes widening in surprise.

“Wh-what was that for?!” He choked out.

“I didn’t get to do it to Ky, so I did it to you. Any objections?” She asked, smiling pleasantly.

“Yes!” Sabl hissed, but quickly straightened out and rubbed his stomach, glaring at my friend.

“And Sarah did that because I told her to.” She wrapped her arm around my shoulder, her smile turning a bit smug. “She seems to be the only one who realizes I’m always right.”

“So it was you!” I sighed, then laughed. “Well, I’m glad to know I’m not going crazy.” I grinned, still feeling like I was in a dream.

“Hey.” Jozokas said, appearing besides me. My heart jerked slightly, but for once I managed to pull off Jamia’s calm attitude, or at least something close to it. I turned and looked at him, putting a large smile on my lips. He didn’t even glance at me; he was staring at Jamia. She stared back at him, her lips in a tight line. I furrowed my brow in confusion, but before I could ask anything Jozokas continued.

“Come with me. We can go to the library and talk some more there.” He glanced over at Kayen, who was now trying to clean up the wood splinters that was once the door. “You coming?” He called. She looked up and shook her head, before continuing. She looked sad, and I pursed my lips as I pondered on asking her to come. For some reason seeing her sad sent a shudder down my spine.

Jozokas didn’t seem to care, he simply started through the door we had come into in the first place. Jamia was the first to follow, then Sabl. I fell in step beside him after a slight hesitation.

We walked in silence for a long time, Jamia walking besides Jozokas, and Sabl walking besides me. Although I kept facing forward, I could feel Sabl glance at me from time to time.

“That’s the wrong turn.” Jamia suddenly said, stopping as Jozokas went to turn left. Jamia pointed to the hallway to the right. “The library is that way.”

I stared at her. Had she been her before? But Jozokas’ confused expression told me that she had not, at least not to his knowledge.

“Y…you’re right.” He said after a silent minute, turning and starting that way.

“How do you know?” I demanded, coming up closer behind my friend. Even from her back, I could tell she was smirking.

“I just do.” She said simply, waving her hand to dismiss the question. I fell into a brooding silence after that. At least until we got to the library.

Jozokas pushed open the door and stepped inside, holding it open for us. As I walked inside I could feel my mouth drop and eyes open wide, much to my dismay. I was getting surprised far too often these days.

“It…it’s huge!” I gawked, once I found my voice. The walls went up a good fifty feet, and tall bookshelves covered every inch of three of the walls. There were several ladders leaning against them. The windows were higher, up above the bookshelves, and they cast a bright light over the sofas and armchairs scattered randomly around the room. There were coffee tables next to those, and a large fireplace was in the eastern wall, the only wall without bookcases.

Sabl sidled in and sat in one of the armchairs that huddled in a group around an oak table. Jamia followed, just as, if not more, relaxed than he was, and sat down on the sofa across from him. Jozokas gestured for me to sit down, and I hesitated before scurrying over and sitting down next to Jamia, huddling closer to her like a child. As if my pride wasn’t hurt enough, Sabl raised an eyebrow and smirked. I frowned back at him, having an errant urge to stick my tongue out at him.

Jozokas placed himself in another armchair and looked around at the three of us.

“Three out of the four of us know what is going on.” He said calmly. He looked to Sabl. “You know because you are nosy and great at spying.” Sabl grinned, and Jozokas rolled his eyes before continuing. “I know because it is my duty to know, to protect Kayen. And you,” He turned to look at Jamia, and she placed an innocent smile on her face. “You know because you’re even nosier than Sabl and know many ways of persuading people.”

I would have smirked, but I was too busy feeling completely stupid and incognizant.

“And Naera…” Jozokas paused, taking a breath. “Naera, you have no clue what’s going on. Am I correct?” I nodded numbly, clinging to Jamia’s arm. “And you won’t find out.”

“WHAT?!” For a minute I thought I had said that, but the voice I heard ringing around the room and into my ears was Jamia’s, not mine. I looked up at her aghast expression. “No! No, no, no! You said we would tell her! You promised!” Jamia hissed through clenched teeth. Jozokas closed his eyes and waved his hands to quiet her.

“We won’t tell her now. But she will know later.” This time I was the furious one. Well, to tell the truth, I wasn’t that mad, but I was curious, and wanted to know what they were talking about.

“That’s not fair.” I whined. “Why can’t I know now? You guys all do, and apparently it has something to do with me!” I looked at Sabl and stuck my lower lip out slightly, hoping it worked on him. He shifted and looked away from me, at Jozokas.

“That’s why.” Jozokas sighed, running a hand through his black hair. I noticed just now that it was slightly longer than the normal boy hair, though not quite as long as Sabl’s. “I’m only doing this to protect. Don’t worry, and be patient. You’ll find out eventually.” I scowled, but nodded obediently.

“To protect? To protect who?” Jamia said, the corners of her mouth turning down as she glared at Jozokas.

“To protect any one who needs protecting.” He replied, before getting up and moving to a bookcase. “You know me, Jamia. I wouldn’t be doing this if I thought it wasn’t right. So don’t tell Naera anything.”

“You…know him?” I breathed out, choking on my words. “You knew a neutral demon and you never told me?”

“Hey, that’s not fair.” Jamia said defensively. “First of all, I never knew he was a demon, though something did feel strange about him. And even if I had known, I didn’t know you were a demon either! I just recently found out that both of you were, so give me some credit here.”

“But yes, Jamia knows me.” Jozokas added in, laughing. “We go way back.” He pulled out a book and opened it, flipping through the pages. Sabl turned around and leaned his elbows against the top of the armchair, watching him.

I sat in silence as I also watched him, feeling like every thing I knew was crumbling down around me. This wasn’t fair at all; how come everyone else seemed to know what was going on while I was sitting here in the midst of it, completely oblivious?

I sighed and rubbed my ribs as they started throbbing, and leaned my head against Jamia’s shoulder. She smelled like rain incense, and I lapped up the scent, knowing that it would be gone soon. Once she actually realized, actually became a witch, she’d lose her smell. It was safer for them that way, so demons couldn’t track them down. It was kind of pointless to be the enemy of someone who could just remember your smell and show up wherever you are.

I stared at Jozokas for several more minutes, still rubbing my side, before I closed my eyes.

~~~

“Naera. Naera. Naera.” Someone was chanting my name. I opened my eyes, glancing around. I could see a figure standing at the other side of the room.

“Ky.” It said. How come it sounded like me? I tried to move closer, but I couldn’t move. I was frozen where I stood. The figure moved out of the shadows, and shock smacked me across the face. Why was I over there, but also here? I looked down at my hands, and my breath caught in my throat. These were Ky’s hands. Not mine. There was a sharp hand knife in one, and a rope in the other. Against my will, my gaze turned to view the person beside me. It was a witch, I could tell, but his power was coming off him in short, gentle waves. His eyes were fixed on me…well, my body across the room. I looked back at it as it stepped closer, and closer.

“Naera. Naera. Naera.” The chanting continued, and I realized that I was the one saying it.

“No!” Someone screamed, and it sounded familiar, but I couldn’t place a name to the sound. And suddenly Jamia landed in front of my seemingly possessed body, and even from here I could see the anger glinting in her eyes. Her power rolled off her in strong, powerful waves, much more powerful than the boy besides me. The witch blinked, and hissed under his breath.

“You ruined my spell!” He spat to Jamia.

“Leave her alone!” She spat back with more fury. Even though I couldn’t see the anger, I could feel it whip through the air and smack into the witch, sending him stumbling back. Then she ran forward, towards me. I dropped the rope and lifted the knife, aimed straight for her chest.

No! No! I screamed in my head. Jamia! Get out of the way! I screeched. But my lips never moved, and she advanced closer and closer with each short second.

~~~

I jerked awake, sweat beads covering my forehead. I knew I had a dream, one that petrified me, but I couldn’t remember it. I sat up, wiping my forehead, and looked around. I was lying on the couch in the library, a blanket draped over me. It was dark, and the only light was the trail of moonlight that came through the window and draped over the oak table. I pushed the blanket off and stood up slowly. I was alone.

I must have fallen asleep, and no one wanted to take me to a room. I didn’t mind, my side didn’t hurt as much any more. But my stomach did. It growled and moaned as I padded across the floor to a bookcase. I put a hand on it, but ignored it as best as I could.

The books all looked old and worn out, but more stable than the books in the school’s library. Then again, these ones probably didn’t have teenagers messing around with them every day. They were pretty much all leather, with a variety of different colors. But every title that was printed on the spines of the books had black, silver, or gold lettering, and nothing else.

I traced one title, which was in a different language, with my finger. When I pulled it away I was expecting a black smudge of dust on my skin, but it was perfectly clean. I raised my eyebrows before moving along the row, reading the titles of the books. A lot of them were in a different language, and all of them weren’t familiar to me. I’d never heard of any of these books. “The Gold’s Locket”, was an example of one that intrigued me. It sounded sort of…pirate-ish. I smirked, but continued moving along.

I almost went past the book. I took several steps before the name registered, and I moved backwards until I could read it again to make sure I had seen it right.

No, I hadn’t been imagining it. Right there, in silver letters, printed on the spine of a black book: “Naera’s Story”. I stared at it, dumbfounded, for several moments, before I slowly pulled it out. The same words were on the cover. I traced them slowly. There must be some one else named Naera. There must be. But when I opened it, there were no words. I flipped through the pages, the crease in my forehead getting deeper the farther I went. Finally I spotted some ink on the last page.
The end. It was written in large, bold ink. I stared at it, and a shiver ran down my spine.

“Curiosity killed the cat.” A quiet voice said. I jumped a good foot in the air, dropping the book. It slammed into the ground with a loud thud and flopped onto its back, the blank pages wide open. I narrowed my eyes and glanced over at (who else?) Sabl. He walked forward and picked up the book, closed it gently, then placed it back in its place on the shelf. It took me several seconds to find my voice.

“It has nothing in it.” I said, my voice sounding small and fragile. He glanced at me, an amused smile dancing on his lips.

“That’s because you haven’t written it yet.” He said. I glanced at the book again, sitting innocently between its companions. “Av said to give you this.” He held out a necklace, a neutral sign and a small crescent moon hanging off it. “It’s his symbol.”

“Av is your master.” I said. It wasn’t a question, it was a statement. I took the charm and turned it over in my hand. “How ironic.” I mumbled, pulling out my necklace with the upside down cross and Ky’s sun symbol on it. The sun and the moon. I stared at the metal sun, the moonlight glinting off of it. Sabl seemed to read my mind.

“You can keep that, if you want. Just don’t wear it.” He said. I nodded and stowed the necklace away in my pocket before fastening the neutral one around my neck.

The neutral symbol had been turned around, and Sabl reached out to turn it back. I blushed and pulled away, turning it around myself and hiding it under my shirt collar. The cold metal pressed against my chest, sending another shiver up and down my spine.

“Where’d…the others go?” I asked. “You left me here.” My voice was tinted with accusation. Sabl smiled sheepishly and stuck his hands in his pockets, shrugging.

“Jamia said you don’t like rooms without windows, and we didn’t want to search the entire house for one that had some. So Jamia took the room you had been in before, and we left you here. It’s just a library, nothing could have happened.”

“I never said something might have happened!” I snapped back. “I’m not scared of the dark.” I snarled, turning away from him and heading to the large doors that led out of the library. Sabl trudged after me.

“I never said you were.” He replied back sourly, before sighing. “I’m sorry, I wish I could tell you everything. But Jared knows what he’s doing.”

It took me a second to remember that Jared was Jozokas.

“How can you be so sure?” I muttered, crossing my arms once I got through the door and into the undeviating hallway.

“Well…I’m not. And if it makes you feel any better, Jamia was arguing with him for some hours before she finally gave up.”

“Jamia doesn’t give up. No doubt she’ll just start at it again in the morning.” I said smugly.

“No doubt.” Sabl repeated with another sigh. Another silence ensued after that. I stared down at my feet, which were dragging on the ground. I was still exhausted.

“What time is it?” I asked, stifling a yawn. Sabl glanced at his wrist, though there was no watch.

“Um…I don’t know.” He said, then grinned. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to wake myself up. Sabl, on the other hand, seemed to be completely cognizant. “Anyway, we found you a room. It has a window, and electric lights, and everything else Jamia said it needed.”

“Which would be?” I asked, trying to force my eyes to stay open. Sabl’s chatter was keeping me awake, though he didn’t seem to realize it.

“Well, she said you liked windows that were at least two feet wide. And that you liked electric lights, and soft rugs.” He trailed off, noticing my smile. “What? What?” He demanded.

“I always like when Jamia shows off how much she knows about me.” I sighed appreciatively.

“…Why?” Sabl asked skeptically.
“Because she’s the only person who knows a good chunk about me.” I replied back, raising my eyebrows.

“Oh…watch out!” Sabl shouted. I quickly looked in front of me, but it was too late. The twins (which I keep conveniently seeing every where) had been bolting around the corner, and one of them slammed right into me.

“Oof!” We both chorused, and I managed to catch myself as the boy fell to the ground. He blinked up at me with wide blue eyes, and I wondered how he could see through the straw colored locks of hair that covered his eyes.

“Sorry.” I mumbled, holding out my hand to help him up. He ignored it and stood up on his own.

“Forr, don’t be rude.” Sabl scolded. He and I both glanced up as the other twin turned the corner and smacked right into Forr, knocking him over again, before landing on top of him. I snickered quietly.

“Oh- ow! Get off of me!” Forr growled as he shoved his twin to the side and sat up, rubbing his chest.

“Sorry, Sis.” My thoughts froze at this. I glanced from the twin who had just spoken to the other one, looking between the two.

“What?” I said stupidly. All three demons turned to look at me. “Uh…I mean…you’re a…a…girl?” I said, still sounding much more foolish than I wanted to.

“Yes, I’m a girl.” Forr said curtly, and I was a bit tacken aback.

“Are you a girl, too?” I asked the other one. Forr burst into laughter, and her twin glared at her.

“I’m a male, thanks.” He muttered, standing up before helping his sister to his feet. “I’m Roff.”

“Roff and Forr.” I mused. I wondered how any one here told them apart. Both had the same light blue eyes, short, straw colored hair, and slightly tan skin. The only difference, as far as I could tell, was that Forr was the slightest bit taller than Roff.

Sabl coughed suddenly, impatiently, and I glanced around. I had completely forgotten that I was- well, had been- exhausted.

“Forr, Roff, you shouldn’t even be up this late. What were you two doing?” By the bored and hopeless tone to his voice, I could tell Sabl was used to this kind of thing. I eyed the twins, thinking about our first encounter. They certainly did seem to be trouble-makers, but who could blame them? They looked only about eleven years old, probably more knowing my lack of judgement.

“Nothing.” Roff- or was it Forr?- mumbled, starting to inch away. The other one followed. Sabl sighed impatiently.

“Well, go off then, scram. And don’t let me find you up this late again.” He watched as they turned and scampered away.

“We won’t!” One of them called over their shoulder, and Sabl cringed.

“Gunna wake up the entire mansion, those two are.” He grumbled as he started trudging his way forwards again. I raised an eyebrow but made no comment. Strange how an encounter with these twins had seemed to make Sabl irritably and tired, and me awake and slightly more optimistic than usual. I opened my mouth to question Sabl, but he answered my question before one word slipped off my tongue.

“They’re Gyfted.” He said, rubbing his eyes as if he was having a particulary hard time keeping them open. “If they touch someone, that person, and any one else nearby, switches emotions.” I nodded. I had once met a Gyfted demon, and he had been able to automatically know the animal that the person had reincarnated from the moment he saw any one. Of course a couple months after I met him he was put in an insane asylum. But that’s besides the point.

Sabl led me farther through the twisting hall ways, his feet dragging the more we walked. Finally he stopped in front of a door that looked just as identical as all the others. He pushed it open, and walked inside. I hung back, wondering why he was going into the room that was supposedly mine, before figuring he was just too tired to care. I followed him quickly, and not wanting to keep him up, slipped quickly under the sheets. I was actually surprised at how quickly I fell asleep- within seconds. But not before I saw a black crow perched on the windowsill outside.

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
— H. Jackson Brown